Pages

Tuesday 23 February 2021

The Deca Tree

Today for maths, we were taught that if you make a mistake, your brain grows. We watched a video about having a great mindset to your work and not giving up.


For today’s maths lesson, we were focusing on a question about The Deca Tree. I was put in a group with my great friends Jane, Austin & Aye. We had to figure out how many more leaves were left in the tree, as 10 trunks were gone. 


🌳The Deca Tree This is Day 12 challenge... - The Maths Forest | Facebook


We first thought of 10 ( 4 Squared ) which equaled 10,000. This means that we knew that there were 10,000 leaves.

Then I came up with an idea of dividing each trunk by 10, then dividing 10 by each branch, etc.

That means each trunk had 1000, each branch had 100, and each twig had 10. But then we had some sort of argument because a few of my teammates didn’t really understand what I did. We ended up arguing about who was right and wrong the whole time.


Then we later on found out that my strategy was correct.


Task description.

This our DMIC for today.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Simon,

    I can empathise with your arguing - there is a lot of sharing ideas and debate in this type of maths. What could you work on next time to support your group mates to understand your thinking?

    ReplyDelete